Eyes Wide Shut

The soft wind serenades the trees to a gentle sway of a lullaby. Leaves flutter relentlessly like trapped tiny butterflies. The mixture of loud chattering and soft murmurs drowns the distant noise of cars and motorcycles tearing the asphalt. Such are the sounds that make the urban music of our beloved concrete jungle.

I listen to it everyday. While lumbering down the pavement, sitting silently at my desk, or having lunch downstairs at the café. They help to fill up time and keep my curious mind busy. They accompany me during those solitary hours at lunch when I am alone and left to my ever wandering thoughts. Everyday is the same routine. I leave office at 2.00pm and waste away two nonconstructive hours on cigarettes. I light up a stick, inhale to the very depths of my charcoal lungs and gaze at the swirling dance of the cancerous smoke as I ponder on my latest project’s impending dateline, vanilla ice-cream and the mysteries of the universe.

Excuse me. Do you mind smoking some place else? This place is crowded enough with people. I don’t need second-hand smoke to crowd it even more.”

Her lips curled and her angry eyes stared long and hard at me. I winked at her and turned around. As I was walking away I caught a glimpse of her through the corner of my eyes. She was still looking at me with those eyes. I shrugged it off and continued walking out of the café.

She walked away in a scurry and headed to the entrance. I gazed at her curvy silhouette gracefully sneaking into the building. Her long, flowing black ribbons of hair danced at every step. As the door slowly closed, she turned. I winked at her and waved her goodbye.

My eyes were still shut. I listened intently to the urban music. Sounds of the streets. Conversations of strangers. The noise of scavenging crows and hungry cats. I pushed my plate away, took one last sip and lit up a stick. As I was walking out of the building I wondered whether such imaginary incidences will ever occur. I thought about Angry Anne. Confused but cute, with a shade of mysterious beauty. I was beginning to miss her. I long for such brief, nonsensical adventures. Even if it lasts for 10 minutes, nevertheless, that is all I need to escape the monotony of this dull, predictable life. All I need is 10 minutes.

That’s all I need.

(circa 2007)